Call now on0800 051 8069

Make a claim now

Finding a new dentist

Unfortunately, a number of our clients feel that they cannot carry on seeing the dentist that provided them with negligent treatment, because understandably they’ve lost their confidence and trust in them.

If you feel you cannot carry on with your current dentist, there are a couple of options available to you:

Finding a new NHS dentist

Everyone in the UK should be able to access NHS dental services.

The way you register is slightly different to the way in which you register with a GP, though. With NHS dentists, you are not bound to a catchment area which means that you can register with a dentist in a location that is convenient to you (perhaps close to your home or work, or with any practice you have chosen regardless of location).

To register at a new practice, you will need to contact the practice. If the practice is currently taking new NHS patients, they will ask you to fill in a registration form. Once completed, you will be able to make an appointment for a “New Patient Examination”, which is essentially a very detailed examination that will chart the health of your teeth and gums.

If you are new to the area, you can search for an NHS dentist near you using their website.

Unfortunately, dental practices do not always have the capacity to take on new patients. If this is the case, you may need to widen your search or be placed on a waiting list. Alternatively, you can be seen privately.

Private dental treatment

The process of finding a new private dentist is relatively straightforward. Again it is a matter of locating an appropriate practice, contacting them and filling out a registration form.

Some practices do offer both NHS and private treatment, meaning that you could for instance undergo an routine examination under NHS treatment, but have any restorative treatment completed on a private basis. Your dentist should always explain the costs associated with any treatment you require, and provide alternative treatment options.

Regardless of whether you chose to register with an NHS or private dentist, you should always check that they are registered on the General Dental Council (GDC) website, which can be found here.

Explore our site